Chem32 sulfides and activates catalysts and absorbents are used in refining, petrochemical and environmental processes, using its proprietary THIOCAT® fixed-bed sulfiding technology.
Chem32 LLC provides the following additional services:
- Toll manufacturing
- Logistics and Warehousing services including of long-term storage of sulfided catalysts
- Pilot studies and scale up of new processes
- Analytical and testing services
- Custom processing using equipment and methods provided by our customers
Learn more about our products below or be in touch with our customer service team on development of a custom solution.
What is THIOCAT®
THIOCAT® is a complete sulfiding and activation process for refinery and petrochemical catalysts performed at our Orange, Texas plant.
THIOCAT® sulfiding and pre-activation is performed in a fixed-bed reactor typically over a 24 hour period in multiple steps including an extended period at the desired finishing temperature. The result is a fully sulfided and activated catalyst that has retained its integrity and loading volume due to the fixed bed process and gentle handling. Transportation in specialized catalyst bins simplifies loading.
Here is an animated presentation on Thiocat® pre-activated catalyst transported and loaded from Hoover-Ferguson bins.
Benefits over in-situ sulfiding
- No odorous chemicals needed.
- Reduced startup time.
- No exotherms during startup.
- No sour water formation.
- No negative effects from process upsets during startup.
- Off-grade storage requirements reduced.
- Heat up to SOR only.
- Simple and quick for small reactors and skims.
- No reduction of active metals.
- No external sulfiding contractors needed on site.
The THIOCAT® process resembles an in-situ activation process with one significant difference. At Chem32 the reactor is designed and optimized for only one purpose – sulfiding and complete activation. All of the drawbacks, problems and risks associated with in-situ sulfiding are eliminated.
Issues such as water make, temperature control and optimized sulfiding conditions during the different sulfiding steps are addressed in a flexible way that enables different protocols for different catalysts.
Catalysts are fragile. The THIOCAT® fixed bed processing is gentle and eliminates losses and reduction of particle length resulting in predictable fill volumes. Long processing time guarantees maximized sulfiding. Main benefit – the startup is now simple and quick. Bring the feed up to start of run temperature as quickly as the reactor will permit, and you are producing in-spec products.
Sulfided catalyst is shipped in drums or in metal bins holding typically 3,000 lbs. catalyst. THIOCAT® is typically loaded under near inert conditions to eliminate risks for oxidation of the catalyst. It can also be shipped in stabilized form to allow for loading under air.
THIOCAT® CFT (Cracked Feed Tolerance) is available for startup in the presence of cracked feeds without the minimum 72 hour costly break-in using straight run feed, typically required after in-situ sulfiding.
- 100% yield – maintained fill volume.
- Complete sulfiding – extended sulfiding emulating catalyst manufacturers guidelines.
- Lot sizes of 4,000 to 1,000,000 lbs.
- Sulfiding CoA’s based on samples taken every 2,000 lbs.
- ISO 9001:2015 quality certification.
- Excellent logistics services.
- Available for a wide variety of hydro-treating and hydro-cracking catalysts.
Our THIOCAT® Pre-activation is available for hydrotreating and hydrocracking catalysts used to process:
- Lube oil
- Tail Gas
- Jet fuel
- Petrochemical applications
Learn more about our THIOCAT® or be in touch with our customer service team on development of a custom solution.